Music Banter - View Single Post - 10 Reasons Why The Rolling Stones Were Better Than The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #598 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

The second song is "The Lantern" off of SMR. It's in the title "The Lantern" session.

The Stones had a few members come & go, studio musicians that played with them, and side projects. Before they became the official Rolling Stones with line-up that we all know they had two members that left to join other bands. One went one to play drums for the Kinks, the other, Dick Taylor, went on to The Pretty Things.

Ian Stewart was the sixth Stone. Their manager didn't think he fit in looks-wise, but stayed on as touring manager. He played piano for them for like twenty years, with the exception when Nicky Hopkins played the 88. According to Keith, Ian was very much the music backbone of the Stones. Jimmy Page and Brian Jones worked with Nico who later went on to join the VU. Jones played guitar and Jones produced on that project. Jones gave up Rock and Roll for sex and drugs. After he died, Mick Taylor joined the Stones. He was a guitar player with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. A few members of the Stones (Jagger, Wyman, & Watts) did an album with Nicky Hopkins and Ry Cooder called "Jamming with Edward." They had the great guitar player hunt that ended up with Ron Wood, who was in the Jeff Beck Group, & Faces.

I think one of the few if not only person to play for both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones was Billy Preston.

The Dirty Mac was also a band that never was. I would have loved it if they put an album.
(I don't know if this was posted before in this thread. I remember being able to search for videos in a thread but that function is now kaput.)
The Dirty Mac - Yer Blues

John Lenonn - vocals, guitar
Eric Clapton - guitar
Keith Richards - bass
Mitch Mitchell - drums

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 08-23-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote