Music Banter - View Single Post - Coronavirus: COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #2813 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Given the quantity of deaths in the US, the word "acceptable" takes on an ugly connotation it doesn't usually have. To their credit, 90% of Dems chose "unacceptable" instead.

I while ago I was watching a YouTube clip about big numbers and how we lose track of their significance.That's why stats are often presented with comparative images: lengths are measured out in football fields, etc. It helps because we have an intuitive grasp of the length of a football field: we can see it in our minds.

Another image we can see in our minds is the collapse of the Twin Towers, with it's death toll of 3 thousand, and the subsequent outrage directed at Afghanistan for harbouring Bin Laden.

Covid deaths in the US are ocurring at a rate of one 9/11 every three days. So far the country has suffered the equivalent of 60 thousand 9/11s. It worries me that 57% of Republicans find that kind of death rate "acceptable".