Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #8011 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
You must understand what a weak argument this is?

If you tell me a Hitler type leader committed a genocide I can reply "of course" because I expect it from them. That tells me nothing.

Whether you cop to it or not, when you said of course you were implying that his behavior was normal. Not only for him but in general.
I will admit, after 4 years, much of Trump's behavior has become somewhat normalized for me, for better or for worse, if that counts as copping to it. If Obama (or Bush) had tweeted something like "When the looting starts, the shooting starts" amidst one of the protests during his Presidency, I'd have been pretty shocked. When Trump does it, I just think: "Yeah, that's just Trump being Trump". So allow me to clarify any bad implications I might have made - I don't think that Trump's response to the question of: "Will you accept the results of the election" is a normal one, based on precedent. But he said the same things in 2016 as he's saying now.

To be fair, my argument, in context, was that, 'of course' he and his administration say "We'll see" if they accept the results of the election because there could be a reason to suspect fraud and if there is, they will litigate. Generally, the norm is for presidents to say something along the lines of: "Of course I will accept the results of the election - there is no institution more important than our democracy". It doesn't much matter, because those folks would also litigate if they found evidence of fraud or wanted recounts, like Bush v. Gore. In some sense, you could say the Trump administration is being more honest than other political candidates were in the past about their willingness to simply accept the results of the election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I don't think anyone would be able be casual about just saying "Well it's legal to send in the cavalry to drag him out so therefore that's what we're doing."
I think Pelosi would. In fact, I think she might relish the opportunity.

Last edited by SGR; 08-29-2020 at 05:17 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote