Music Banter - View Single Post - The Islam Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 08:23 AM   #586 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I didn't read what you said I'm responding to Lucem

reading these books like they're literal instruction manuals is really awkward, it's not the way people actually practice religion
That really depends on the book. Large portions of the Torah, for example, are quite literally just lists of laws and punishments. I dunno how else you would interprete that.

Islam inherits that tradition. It's not just a list of laws just like it's not a continuous historical narrative the way the Torah is
It's a stream of consciousness style text that is embued with an inherent worldview that includes both law and historical narrative without dedicating itself explicitly to recreating what was already established with the Torah. It reinforces that worldview. Which is why the actual law about stoning adulterers originally appeared in the Torah.

It's true most modern Jews don't follow the Torah. They are probably the most secular abrahamic religion out there. They've completely strayed from actual Judaism. They're basically just a cultural/ethnic group at this point.

Last edited by jwb; 08-31-2020 at 08:34 AM.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote