Music Banter - View Single Post - The Islam Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #587 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I wouldn't normally talk universally about the culture of "Arabic" people either, I might talk about Pakistani culture or something

that could depend on context

I can't really think of a context where you're talking about as diverse and massive a group as Muslims as if they're a traditionalist monolith wouldn't be pretty bigoted
talking about Islam in general is not broadbrushing Muslims anymore than talking about Christianity in general is broadbrushing Christians.

You can talk about sexual repression, homophobia, etc as a generic criticism of Christianity. You can even say it's a negative force on the world. People commonly say all of this.

In reality, if we cut through the BS I believe you're basically just worried that any negative statements about Islam, no matter how true, will arm islamaphobia. I'm not unconcerned about that, but I also think they will find their ammo anyway and the fact that leftists are so prone to pay deference to one of the more backwards religions out there out of sheer PC optics is disengenous and more proof that they are correct. That's how bigots usually think.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote