Music Banter - View Single Post - The Spam Thread: Channel Your Need to Spam Here Only
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #26678 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I hear it may just have been a joke. As in he was so exasperated with them that he just said "****ing hell I'll just make my horse god damn consul" and then the Senate pretended to take it seriously when denouncing him. Which of course doesn't sound at all like the kind of petty, dumb **** that drives politics to this day.
He never actually did it and we don't know if he was serious - probably was a joke. Yeah, we haven't evolved much in 2000 years unfortunately.

The problem with historical accounts, when we go as far back as Caligula, is that the original sources are only a handful, and it's difficult to know how much of what you read was influenced by the biases of the historian.

I tend to think that many of the claims about Caligula are highly exaggerated and have been overblown throughout the years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Caligula that ordered the first large scale aqueducts project in Rome?
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote