Music Banter - View Single Post - The Spam Thread: Channel Your Need to Spam Here Only
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 03:15 PM   #26686 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
He never actually did it and we don't know if he was serious - probably was a joke. Yeah, we haven't evolved much in 2000 years unfortunately.

The problem with historical accounts, when we go as far back as Caligula, is that the original sources are only a handful, and it's difficult to know how much of what you read was influenced by the biases of the historian.

I tend to think that many of the claims about Caligula are highly exaggerated and have been overblown throughout the years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Caligula that ordered the first large scale aqueducts project in Rome?
Don't know. I'm not much of a historian. Just a fan. I think one bit of potential circumstantial evidence is that both of Rome's most famous mad emperors who were assassinated, Caligula and Nero, were back to back. Sort of suggests they might have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time when the Senate was trying to reassert some control.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote