Music Banter - View Single Post - Bloody Marie: Portrait of the riot grrrl as a young battleaxe
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

Emily’s Sassy Lime – Desperate, Scared, but Social

So there’s an all-Asian riot grrrl band called Emily’s Sassy Lime, and they make the most gloriously clumsy DIY punk. This album is a blast. They disregard the virtues of keeping time, and what is the bass guitar even doing? Who knows. It just sort of drones in the background. The first high point is Kid’s Stuff, which is a masterpiece. It even swings, possibly unintentionally so. Transistor No Way features the most hilariously offbeat singing ever, and then there’s a song called There’s a Snake in the Steakhouse with its all-over-the place melody which can’t decide which key it should be in (a daring feat of atonal experimentation in the grand tradition of contemporary classical music and free jazz). Their song titles are great in general; there’s also Hey You With The Crumby Face, Not In a Biblical Sense (another masterpiece, this one legit bops), G.U.S.T.O. – The G Does Not Stand For Geriatric (? it’s instrumental) and Save Your Drama for Your Mama which I’m going to adopt as a useful phrase. Incidentally, this is a 6 second song and most of it consists of counting off. The record closes with Superior Threat, an almost 6 minute track which features a dissonant organ and a sudden bright, playful electronic melody.

Fun facts:
- According to bandcamp the album was supposed to be called ‘Desperate, Scared, but So-Cal’ but the printer ****ed up.
- The bandmates didn’t live close to each other and sometimes wrote songs over the phone
- Their parents kept them from practicing because they thought they should study instead

Choice tracks:
Spoiler for Kid's Stuff:

Spoiler for Transistor No Way:

Spoiler for There's a Snake in the Steakhouse:

Spoiler for Save Your Drama For Your Mama:

Spoiler for Not In a Biblical Sense:

Spoiler for Superior Threat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote