Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Nirvana/Kurt Cobain Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #1003 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesandtherubberducky
The strech between a guitar and a mellotron is pretty big. But it did prove your point that anyone can play anything without any knowledge about it. Now if they can play it well is the question.
It takes skill to play any instrument well.... Everything from guitar to violin to saxophone to harmonica to trombone to kazoo to vocal chords to your asscrack.

There are various degrees of skill depending on the kind of instrument you play, string instruments, keyboard instruments, brass instruments, woodwind instruments, percussion instruments, electronic instruments, etc.

Different instruments have different purposes and methods of playing, some are for soloing, riffs and individual notes, others provide different timbres, harmonies and drones... Which was what the mellotron was designed for, to emulate string, brass and woodwind sections of a orchestra... If you use it for just a droning effect then sure anyone can do it, but it does require skill when it is used for making complex symphonic parts, as is the case for progressive rock (where it became the most popular) and other genres where the mellotron is used.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote