Music Banter - View Single Post - Mindful Science!
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #724 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Raises good points about the magic pill approach to mental health but the beneficiaries=architects mindset is too conspiratorial for me. I guess that's why you posted it here.
It’s not hard science. But the malignant growths of capitalism need not be conspiratorial to be true. It’s an incremental process. A group of people didn’t get together and say hey we’ll convince everyone who’s sad to take a pill. Instead it’s like a few people take a pill for it, the pharmaceutical industry thinks hey maybe there’s a market here. They invest in advertising and sales repping relatively small scale. It works. They push more money into it and it snowballs.

Just the fact that prescription medicine is advertised on television to the consumer instead of the health care provider is indicative of something that could strictly be defined as a conspiracy. They’re definitely conspiring to sell the medication. Where that leads us is hard to say. Maybe millions of clinically depressed people are receiving help because of it. Perhaps I’m more inclined to think these drugs are wildly over-prescribed because I wear very strong anti-capitalist goggles.

I’m not sure what I believe but I’m kind of leaning into the idea that depression (not bipolar or borderline personality disorder which I’m classifying separately from “major depressive disorder” of which I’ve been diagnosed) and ADHD are largely social constructs and deeply over diagnosed and unnecessarily medicated for.

And... I’m not even sure.

PS If it’s relevant I was diagnosed ADHD as a kid but refused to take the pills.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote