Music Banter - View Single Post - Coronavirus: COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #2966 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Rachel Maddow has a strong anti-Trump bias, but most of her facts are sound, afaik, and in this piece about Herd Immunity* she is supported by various quotes and newspaper headlines:-

What RM doesn't mention is that the USA has so lost the battle to test, track and quarantine, that herd immunity may be the only option left to the country. When they had 15 registered cases, the authorities couldn't contain the spread, so they have no chance given today's figures. They can't even get past the first hurdle of the test, track and quarantine sequence: quick tests and quick test results. Understandably, the media has focused on testing problems, which has meant that nobody worries much about the next impossible task: the army of people that would be needed to track down the contacts of someone who tested positive, They couldn't even do it properly in the case of our beloved leader Trump, many of whose contacts were there on video to be identified.

I wonder if Europe is now, by default, on a similar path of just letting covid blow where it will and good luck luck to you

* Just to add to the gloom, there is mounting evidence that Herd Immunity doesn't make you immune: perhaps you can catch coronavirus as often as you can catch a cold. If so, a more accurate term would be Herd Contamination, not that the White House will be adopting that term any time soon.