Music Banter - View Single Post - The queer corner
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #563 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Speaking only for myself here: I have always known I was bisexual, in that I have had romantic/sexual attraction to both sexes throughout my life. I've known and felt it strongly despite the fact that I’ve never engaged in same-sex “experimentation” (I was married to a man for many years, was with him since age 19 and did not have any sex before then, and was monogamous during the marriage). I don’t think one necessarily has to “experiment” to come to the conclusion that that one is bisexual. You can be bisexual and know that you are bisexual without having acted on it. Just as some people can realize they are straight, gay, or lesbian before having sexual relations. I think it’s a very common misconception that most bisexuals are actually heterosexuals who are just experimenting. Granted, there are certainly people for whom bisexual behavior is experimental; but bisexuality is a legitimate sexual orientation for others – and that’s the way it is for me.
Fair enough

I wasn't trying to imply that bisexuals are necessarily not able to be sure of their sexuality from an early age, though I can see in retrospect how it might've sounded like that.

With regard to experimentation...I would question your assertion there a bit. I don't think virtually anyone develops into sexual maturity without doing some experimenting that shapes their trajectory. Marie's example only adds to my point imo... Experimenting with boys and not liking it is very much still experimenting that shapes your current conception of your sexuality. Not all experiments are successful... Otherwise it wouldn't be an experiment. Imo.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote