Music Banter - View Single Post - Bloody Marie: Portrait of the riot grrrl as a young battleaxe
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

Marie listens to Huggy Bear so you don’t have to

I’d never listened to Huggy Bear because their name is stupid, so I assumed they suck. However, I finally gave them a chance for the sake of this journal and it turns out that I was right all along: they do kind of suck indeed. Riot grrrl can be great, but you need either a vocal force of nature like Kathleen Hanna or Corin Tucker, or an endearingly sloppy mess that happens to be barrels of fun like the Frumpies or Emily’s Sassy Lime (or you need to be clever, like Bratmobile). Huggy Bear has none of these things, so what’s left is an uninspired mess. Somebody really should have told them that arbitrary noise and dissonance doesn’t make your music interesting. The noise lacks bite too, it’s like a Chihuahua: obnoxiously aggressive but unthreatening. The guy who sings is so bad even the charm of his slight speech impediment (he lisps) can't save him. The fact that he’s a guy is no excuse: the great Fred Schneider has proven that guys can pull off riot grrrl singing(*). At some point, on an album called Taking the Rough With the Smooch (yikes) this nerd decides that he should do a spoken word track. What the **** is his problem? Of course it's a pretentious trainwreck. The one exception to Huggy Bear's suckiness is High Street Jupiter Supercone (?), which gets thrashiness right and is actually danceable.

Fun facts:
- They once did a split LP with Bikini Kill: the first half is Huggy Bear’s, and the Bikini Kill half is actually the second of The First Two Records. The relief one feels when Bikini Kill’s White Boy finally kicks in is unspeakable.
- Ok so allegedly one of the band members once bit someone in the face, that’s actually pretty rad

choice track:
Spoiler for High Street Jupiter Supercone:

-------
(*)
Spoiler for evidence for this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote