Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rest in Peace Thread (RIP)
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #5574 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Yes, that was a great song, Batlord. Here's a clip of the Spencer Davis Group playing in Germany, with Spencer very much the group's spokesman:-

I don't know much about SD either; afaik, like John Mayal and Alexis Korner, "his" band was overshadowed by a rising-star member who became more famous than the band leader.

I've read about Alexis Korner (cause of his association with Rolling Stone) but didn't hear anything by him till Collective Consciousness Society. I love both E.C. and John Mayal, but I'm not in any way crazy about the Beano album.

I always thought The Spencer Davis Group had one of the coolest songs ever from the 60s with I'm a Man. I don't know much about him personally, but I always respected him for his music. Sad to hear about him passing away.

I like to think he lives on in film, and on youtube. The Spencer Davis Group was on "Pop Gear" and "The Ghost Goes Gear"(which I haven't seen yet). Hearing Midnight Special a thousand times by CCR I can't help but think this SDG version sounds very English. They sound like a Skilffle band imitating The Beatles imitating Carl Perkins imitating Chet Atkins as they (SDG) do their cover of a CCR song. No disrespect to any of those artists/bands.
The Spencer Davis Group - Midnight Special

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote