Music Banter - View Single Post - Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #57 (permalink)
donkeydoo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbash View Post
Hybrid Theory, despite some minor imperfections, is a glorious debut album, and excellent album period, which has well earned it sales and fans.
My first rock album, great review. I personally disagree about Cure for the Itch. Firstly it's not a proper song, so unfair to judge it as so. But I think it helps to identify how much work the production is doing on to create that clean Linkin Park sound we're used to.

I wrote a little personal review too -

Linkin Park's debut created a unique blend of Chester’s lyrics drawing on his childhood issues with a raw passion (found less melodiously in Korn, Disturbed and one or two other nu-metal band’s music), Mike Shinoda’s infusion of rap that complimented Chester’s heavy subject matter, hip-hop sensibilities fused with heavy, rock elements and incredibly high catchy electronic mixing and production values that destined them to become the biggest band at their level of heaviness in the new century (Hybrid Theory is the biggest selling debut album in any genre in the 21st century). Their following releases possibly suffered from how strong this debut was. In a song about halfway in time from Hybrid Theory to now, Mike raps “Cause even a blueprint is a gift and a curse, 'Cause once you got a theory of how the thing works, Everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first”.

I still have memory flashes of Papercut, Crawling and One Step Closer playing constantly on MTV2 with enough vividness to make it hard to accept the two decades in between. For an angsty teenager, singing and shouting along to the lyrics was a cheap form of therapy that'd only set you back a tenner.

Favourite songs: Papercut, Runaway, Place for my Head.