Music Banter - View Single Post - B.r.m.c - Brmc
Thread: B.r.m.c - Brmc
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Default B.r.m.c - Brmc

Swept into the mainstream on the cusp of a garage rock revolution, B.R.M.C have long been accused of pillaging the past and lacking originality. true, their music owes a lot to such bands as the jesus & mary chain and my bloody valentine with its lethargic guitars and droning feedback, but this is an album full of swagger, sleaze, attitude and a bit of talent thrown in for good measure.

As if plucked from the wome of the darkest night, this is a collection of nocturnally driven garage rock glazed with psychedelic chords and beach boy-esque melodies. tracks such as "whatever happened to my rock and roll" and "spread your love" are raucous, catchy, good old fashioned rock and roll songs designed to get liven up any mood, while "rifles" and "As sure as the sun" offer a dreamy, melodic and deeply satisying alternative to such stompers like "red eyes and tears"; a song oozed in a deep, dark pool of the dirtiest blues you can imagine, and "love burns"..in essence a pop song designated to the mainstream audience. the highlight on this album though, has to be "head up high". with an eerie choir, clanging guitar and droning bass, its a song immersed in atmosphere and poignancy. the lyrics - as with 99% of the songs on this album, are consistently concide yet thoughtful, offering tales of inner emotion and experiences.

what makes this album great in my opinion is the intensity that runs throughout its veins. theres not a weak track. orginal? perhaps not. but in a day and age where the music industry is dominated by 4 blokes from new york and 4 boys from sheffield, this is a welcomed alternative. not for everyone, but definetly for those who like their music dark, edgy yet accessible.

overall rating - 4/5
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote