Music Banter - View Single Post - 2020 US Election Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #1083 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
The American system is basically inherently inclined towards two parties. We would have to completely revamp the system to something more akin to a parliament to make 3rd parties truly viable imo. Which would require what exactly? Amending the Constitution? I'm honestly unclear on the specifics of how you could do that.
I don't know that any big constitutional change would be necessary; just enough willing /popular politicians to go their own way. If Bernie Saunders and The Squad split from the Dems, for example, they could be a third party, or if a bunch of independents got together.

Quote:
There are inherent pros and cons to a parliamentary system as well. Instead of the ideal of more sides being heard what often happens is alliances between parties to secure power that essentially breaks down as a de facto two party or two coalitions of parties rule, which can often give more leverage to a smaller conservative party the same way our electoral college does.
Yep, the UK routinely has a third political party, typically with just a few seats, but often important enough to be wooed, issue by issue, into supporting one of the 2 main parties. Works OK, afaik, and contributes to a plurality of voices, though, as I think you're suggesting, a small party can find itself lucky enough to tip the balance in a way that's disproportionate to its size.