Music Banter - View Single Post - Music for Dummies
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
littleknowitall
Pow!

trick if your soloing, and im pretty sure this works, i forget sometimes. if you find the key your playing in and say you can't solo in pentatonic very well (in which case your probably lost already) move 3 semi-tones down (3 frets) from the root note (the first note of the pentatonic scale you'd usually play in) and you've found a relative minor of the key your in, playing the major scale in that position with the exeption of the first note should work the same as the pentatonic. this might be wrong but last time i checked it worked.

the modal system was invented by the romans, and im not 100% but i think they named each scale after their greatest philosiphers, they're just scales with **** names, learn 'em and use them.

im quite partial to the caged system, ill explain-

we'll be simple and use c major as an example, using the notes in the open chord c will obviously work out if you wanted to solo in c major but that restricts you to the bottom of the neck so you use 'caged' (you can start with any chord). slide up to the highest note you we're playing and bar then imagine that bar was the top of your neck, use your other fingers to play a basic 'a' chord, thats c major again, slide up to the furthest note again, bar, do the same and play a 'g' chord over the bar and continue this on obviously after d you just go back to 'c'. every note you've played there works if you want to solo in c major, and there are many more if you know the major scales for each shape. then you can go on to learn the theory behind chords, say you learnt how to apply a major 7th, and you were soloing over a major 7th chord, simply aply the rule to all 5 chord shapes and solo, adding and removing notes that make those chords major 7ths.

learn your chord theory and this systems pretty worth while, plus it's great if you can't be arsed to learn your modes.

realistically if you know all your chord theory then you know every note for every key on the fretboard and the modes are just pointless scales that close in these notes so you can use them differently, and they have ****ty names...
littleknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote