Music Banter - View Single Post - M Wollstonecraft: Statues of Women
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
The "blob" looks like a mass of people struggling to escape from a membrane with the woman (a barbie, apparently) finally being able to escape at the top, which is a good representation of Wollenstonecraft's legacy of helping women escape oppression and achieve equal rights imo. Could've been done better but I think that the artist's intentions were sound.
Perhaps I got a little swept away by my own argument and preferred to ignore this inconvenient but valid point. Can't you put your interpretation into a spoiler or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'd just like to point out that part of your argument defending a feminist's modesty is essentially just stereotyping women as being monolithically modest.
I'm not sure about that Batlord, any more than any opinion that includes the word "men" or "women" is stereotyping them monolithically. People make generalisations all the time, usually with the tacit understanding that there will always be exceptions.
( Although not all people, of course; I wouldn't like to stereotype the human race as being monolithically generalisers.)