Music Banter - View Single Post - Classical Music Criticism
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
ando here
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Geoff View Post
I don't really like the focus on theory that classical provides, most of the music has little repetition so it's quite boring to me.

In fact, my thing has always really been a rejection of music theory. I never learned any of it and say what you will abt my music but I think that if it sounds good it sounds good you know? Classical is usually heralded as, as one member put on here once, a "golden standard" of music and that it's supposedly the best of art music? When in fact, there are plenty of art music compositions that I'd rather hear than classical.

That being said, I love a few classical composers, I'm not a fan of much of it but in general I like romanticism, minimalism, modern classical, polyphonic chant, stuff like that. And ofc non-western classical music. Especially hindustani
I can understand preferring other musical forms but I don't think criticism in this field is necessarily relegated to discussion of theory. Perhaps when you're considering composition reference to theory is apropos but for simple appreciation no talk of theory is necessary or even taken up by most reviewers of new classical releases (thank goodness). As Hurwitz says in the above YouTube interview - classical music, like any music, is about entertainment. So, by default, criticism is about entertainment. Theory has traditionally been reserved for academics, imo. And academics don't keep classical music alive. People who love listening to it do!

But, like Hurwitz stated, a good critic is indispensable - especially today, when there are a myriad recordings of the same repertoire and so much new material yet to be discovered. I relish a good write-up of just about any classical new release.
ando here is offline   Reply With Quote