Music Banter - View Single Post - M Wollstonecraft: Statues of Women
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 06:03 AM   #82 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quite literally, *googles pareidolia*: that's an impressive word to have at your disposal!

One reason we've disscussed the MW statue at such length is that it seems to embody or lead into a bunch of intriguing-for-some questions:-
The history of feminism.
Do female nudes celebrate women, or send a message that they are vulnerable/available?
How do we represent the past?
To what extent should public art, like statues, educate, shock or entertain us?

But as Elph indicates, a lot has been said about just one statue, which is why I'm grateful that Neapolitan noticed the other half of my thread title: Statues of Women, and showed us a couple of others :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Here is another statue I like. The dress looks futuristic. It'a like Marie Curie step through time presenting to us that she holds the mystery of the atom.

Monument to Maria Sklodowska-Curie
I like this one too, and as you say, there's a timeless quality about it.

__________________________________________________ _______________

150 years after Mary W, in the 1920s, Margaret Sanger was promoting birth control as a road to freedom and equality for women in the USA and became the founder of the controvertial Planned Parenthood organisation - so controvertial that:
Quote:
In Boston in 1929, city officials ... threatened to arrest her if she spoke. In response she stood on stage, silent, with a gag over her mouth, while her speech was read by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Sr.[108]
Here's a statue commemorating that brave moment, although it's a museum exhibit rather than a piece of sculpture (I think ) :-

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 11-14-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote