Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #574 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Castle Rock (Horror)

This, on the other hand, I did not enjoy. I tried really hard to like it, being another Stephen King effort, but I just couldn't get into it. It seemed to wander all over the place and most of the time I was like "huh?" It ended very badly too. I see it was cancelled after two seasons. I would have axed it after the first. Big disappointment.

Verdict: 5/10

The Plot Against America (Science fiction/dystopian)

When I started watching this I was all but ready to drop it after episode one, which I found very slow and boring. I ended up being so glad I didn't; it turned out to be excellent, riveting viewing. Based on the novel by Philip Roth, it's an alternate view of America in which FDR does not get elected, and Charles Lindberg, as president, turns America into a fascist state that stays out of the war and helps Hitler. Superb.

Verdict: 10/10

Jeckyll and Hyde (Horror/Fantasy)

Yeah, I don't need to tell anyone what this is about. At the same time, it twists the story a little, introducing MIO, a secret service department that takes care of supernatural threats to the Realm. And it has Richard E Grant in it, how cool is that? I enjoyed it but it was definitely rushed at the end; they must have expected, and been planning for, a second season which they did not get, because the ending almost makes me want to tell you not to bother. You have been warned. But you should still watch it.

Verdict: 8.5/10

Fort Salem (Supernatural drama)

Originally called Motherland, then Motherland: Fort Salem but marketed at least over here simply as Fort Salem, this innovative series sees witches having been co-opted to the US military to combat supernatural enemies, and fighting against a terrorist group called the Spree. Pretty damn good for what it is. Another season has been commissioned.

Verdict: 9.5/10

The Dust Bowl (Documentary)

Another of the superlative Ken Burns documentaries I've been enjoying - I've seen Vietnam War, Prohibition and World War II, and am working through Country Music - this one chronicling the 1930s natural disaster known as the Dust Bowl, which drove so many farming families from the midwest and nearly wiped out agriculture altogether. Stark.

The Black Stuff (Play/Drama)

Precursor to the legendary cult series The Boys From the Blackstuff, Alan Bleasdale's gritty drama about working life in Liverpool in Thatcher's Britain. This sets the scene for events before the series, laying down some very important background, although you don't have to have seen it to have enjoyed the series.

Verdict: 9/10

Downton Abbey (Period Drama)

Who hasn't heard of this? Took me a long time to get into it, but they started showing it on demand and I decided hell with it, I've wanted to start it for a while now so this is my chance. Wish there was more. Superbly acted and really well written. A time long vanished thank god.