Music Banter - View Single Post - 2020 US Election Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 06:07 AM   #1563 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I'm a little more optimistic than you, OH, especially as I see more and more judges throwing out Trump's legal challenges. I don't exactly trust the Supreme Court, but I think, as part of the judiciary, they are going to side with the lower-court opinions and the weight of evidence -or rather the lack of evidence - that the election result should stand as it is.
As I've argued before, once appointed, a Supreme Court judge doesn't have to do what their sponsor wants; they've got the lifetime appointment, so they can make decisions with an eye on legal issues and their historical legacy, not just partisan loyalties. I think they'll be too scared to go against so much evidence and precedent suggesting the Biden win is valid.

A case in point: Remember how we were worried that one week after the election, Nov 10, the Supreme Court was going to dismantle the Affordable Care Act: that never happened did it ? For whatever reason, perhaps fear of backlash from the public, SCOTUS didn't go along with the Republicans agenda.

None the less, these are certainly nail-biting days, as we see the various Republican machinations flounder, only to be replaced by some new scam they have dreamed up.

To me, the villain of the hour is this previously obscure woman at the GSA, Emily Murphy, who has yet to sign off on Biden as the apparent winner of the election. I read that she is a principalled and consciencious soul, put in a difficult position. She has to choose: either (i) placate her lame-duck boss, delay the transition process and jeopadize the lives of thousands of Americans, or (ii) do the right thing by rubber-stamping the clear Biden victory. What a dilemma for the poor woman!!

EDIT: tldr? My post is what Trollheart said in half as many words.