Music Banter - View Single Post - Universal Basic Income or Class Warfare
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 03:15 AM   #1046 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

I mean saying something will replace capitalism eventually is like predicting the world will end eventually. It's not much of a prediction.

But Marx had specific ideas about how and why capitalism would be replaced. Which so far haven't panned out.

He was literally anticipating revolution in his lifetime in countries like England, France, Germany. There were some failed attempts but no successes.

He never talked about or truly anticipated countries like Russia or China leading the way. For good reason. They didn't have the necessary industrial infrastructure in place. Part of why they turned out so disastrous.

But these days the formerly industrial societies are becoming deindustrialized service and gig economies. Instead of increasingly bad conditions at the workplace that leads to class consciousness and Revolution, it lead to worker reforms and unions. Which leads to complacency.

This is why I don't call myself a Marxist. I'm fine with the idea of communism if it's carried out properly but at some point you need to accept when dudes predictions fall flat. Christians are still waiting for Jesus to come back after 2000 years. That's a dead end street.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote