Music Banter - View Single Post - The Stranglers
Thread: The Stranglers
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #60 (permalink)
Psy-Fi
Aficionado of Fine Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutmensch View Post
Thank you very much for this inspiration.

I am quite a philistine concerning jazz and American music. I didn‘t know that "Golden brown" from the Stranglers was a cover. But now it seems quite logical to me.

Do you know when the original has been released or composed? The video seems to be from the sixties.

The Strangler‘s version reminds of a time when covers were still witty and intelligent.

I almost thought the song might be a Dave Brubeck cover when I first noticed that video listed on YouTube.

This is from the uploader...

Quote:
A little tribute to Dave Greenfield (keyboardist with The Stranglers who died with Covid-19 last week) and Paul Desmond (saxophonist with the Dave Brubeck quartet - the anniversary of his death is at the end of this month). Also because I've been enjoying editing videos and recording stuff over the last couple of months.

A couple of people have asked how I made this video so here we go -
I took a clip from a 1964 live version of Take Five (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh...) and made the drum loop by chopping up the intro and turning it from 5/4 into the 3/4 - 4/4 groove that Golden Brown has. The upright bass sound is sequenced from Logic, and the piano part was played in using one of the piano sounds from a Nord Electro 5D. Then I played the sax part over the top (I play a King Zephyr alto and for this I used a hard rubber Yanigasawa mouthpiece rather than my usual bright Guardala).
The video was then edited using the clip I'd taken the drum loop from.

laurencemason@hotmail.co.uk

She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote