Music Banter - View Single Post - Bloody Marie: Portrait of the riot grrrl as a young battleaxe
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #34 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post

Lung Leg – Hello Sir

Lung Leg is a Scottish indie/riot grrrl band whose music is a dissonant but bright chaos. They sound like a band trying to play straightforward pop with wrongly tuned instruments; it reminds me a bit of the brilliant cover of Satisfaction in Welcome to the Dollhouse. It’s a pity I can’t understand much of what they’re singing, it seems like the lyrics match the music.

The album I'm discussing here is Hello Sir, a Kill Rock Stars compilation of their first two EP’s. It opens with the amazing Punk Pop Travesty. I like the bass; sometimes it's hyperactive, at other moments it anchors the other instruments. The song sounds like an anthem, but I have no idea what for. There is a 26 second song called Eek!, the lyrics of which are ‘Eek!’. I love the overenthusiastic drumming on Small Screen Queen; also it manages to squeeze at least 4 different kinds of dissonant yet catchy hooks into its 1:48 timespan. One song is entitled Kung Fu on the Internet, which I'm adopting as an anthem for the daily life of an MB mod. The opening shuffle of Accident is also great (the lyrics accompanying this cheerfulness are mainly ‘bodies break easily’). Granted, these songs all pretty much sound the same, but who cares, especially since none of them even reach a length of 2 minutes. No attention span needed.
Great write-up, Marie. Never heard of Lung Leg before. I just listened to all the (conveniently-brief, lol) tracks and "dissonant but bright chaos" is a perfect description of their sound. For some reason, they remind me instrumentally of latter-day Ornette Coleman & Prime Time (minus the funk and plus the...punk ).
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote