Music Banter - View Single Post - The queer corner
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #773 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
Yes to everything Marie said.
JWB is right too - the whole point is that gender IS meaningless when you break it down, and that's why we need to untrain ourselves to view people in these x or y categories. Some would argue that their identity makes up a big part of who they are, but tbh if your gender identity is your entire personality you're probably a pretty boring person.
It's only meaningless if you insist there are no characteristics associated with said gender. The association of certain characteristics with a certain gender is what makes gender a thing in the first place.

Quote:
Oh and swap "race" for "heritage" then, if it's tripping you up. Have you ever taken that Smithsonian (I think) test where you guess the race of people? There's another version where you are shown two pictures of different people and it prompts you with a word like "intelligent" or "bad-tempered" and you associate it with one of the two pictures, which then is analyzed and presented as "here are your internal biases" kind of thing. Like people typically will categorize darker skinned black people as more violent, less trustworthy, unattractive, etc., whereas lighter skinned black people are assigned more of the positive traits. Idk if it's still up I took them in college years ago, but it was interesting.
no. I've seen the inherent bias one though but I think the methodology on that was rather dubious.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote