Music Banter - View Single Post - from freak fighter to lamp lighter
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #1202 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Dedekind Cut - Successor

I already said this:

$uccessor by Dedekind Cut

This is truly one of the definitive quintessential records of the 2016 avalanche of musical brilliance. Absolutely essential. Beautiful disquieting ambiguity. Fantastic avant ambient. A true sonic delight. 5/5 highest rating. Very enthusiastically recommended.

All that still stands but I want to talk about the cover.

Quote:
It's an apt soundtrack to the album artwork (below), which depicts two men on horseback in what seems like the middle of nowhere during night's darkest hours.
Vice says Dedekind Cut is a pseudonym for Lee Bannon but elsewhere it’s noted as Fred Warmsley. So born Fred Warmsley changed to Lee Bannon changed to Dedekind Cut.

That’s him. That’s him on the horse. This guy was born in Sacramento.

Quote:
In 2002, the Civil Rights Project at Harvard University conducted for Time magazine named Sacramento "America's Most Diverse City".[17] The U.S. Census Bureau also groups Sacramento with other U.S. cities having a "high diversity" rating of the diversity index.[50] Moreover, Sacramento is one of the most well-integrated U.S. cities, having a relatively high level of ethnic and racial heterogeneity within its neighborhoods
Interesting because what I was going to say about the album cover is that I feel like it removes the otherness from the black subjects. Horses. Not in the city. It seems like a space owned by whiteness. Utah Idaho Wyoming. Same as the ambient music scene. It’s a very engaging and powerful photograph. So much so that I think the music benefits from the association with the image. It’s not aggressive in anyway. It’s not hip hop machismo. Instead it’s a comforting reclaiming of space, geographically and musically.

Released
November 11, 2016

https://theweek.com/10things/655906/...vember-11-2016

Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump met with President Obama at the White House on Thursday for their first discussion of the transition of power in January. Obama called the meeting "excellent." Trump said the two were only supposed to talk for 15 minutes or so, but they kept going for 90 minutes. Trump said he would seek Obama's "counsel" through the transition process, calling him a "very good man." During the campaign, Obama stumped for Hillary Clinton and called Trump unfit for the office, but on Thursday he told Trump his administration would "do everything we can to help you succeed, because if you succeed the country succeeds."
Very gracious Obama but it didn’t work out.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote