Music Banter - View Single Post - Bloody Marie: Portrait of the riot grrrl as a young battleaxe
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

about the first question: it depends on what your taste is. I don't know enough about that to give you a precise rec, so I'll list some classics (Ignoring riot grrrl because I guess that's not to your taste, even though I recommend you listen to it):
- the raincoats are one of the greatest female punk bands. They made their own non-aggressive kind of punk music which had a magical beauty. Their most famous song is their cover of the Kinks' Lola, which I think is the best introduction for you
Spoiler for Lola:

- Another very famous one is the Slits, who also had a very unique sound which was more than typical punk aggression
Spoiler for typical girls:

- Third classic: X-ray spex. One of the greatest voices in punk and an awesome saxophone. Of everything on this list I think you might like this one best
Spoiler for I live off you:

- of course it all started with Patti Smith, the godmother of female punk:
Spoiler for Gloria:

- Kleenex/Liliput, from Switzerland:
Spoiler for Beri beri:

- the amazing Girls at our Best:
Spoiler for warm girls:

- the Bags, which is also one of the better bets for you I think:
Spoiler for Survive:

- and of course Sleater-Kinney, who started out making feminist punk, but this song is basically from a break-up album:
Spoiler for Dig Me Out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is online now   Reply With Quote