Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato presents: Trollheart's Box Office
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #51 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas (2011)

Ah, you Americans do love your Harold and Kumar, don’t you? How dare I say a word against them! Well, just like your other icon Pee-Wee Herman, these two stoners are not as well known or liked on this side of the water, though I guess they have something of a following. So in conclusion, suck it.

I always worry about movies that use the dreaded 3D tag. So often, it’s a method of papering over some very large cracks in the film, where things like plot, characterisation, dialogue and message get ridden roughshod over in favour of the ooh-ahh three-dimensional effects. Just check out Jaws 3D to see what I mean, and if you couldn’t be bothered, watch for a review here next year in my Shark Tales feature. Then again you have the likes of Avatar, which apparently is a great movie. Or is it? You talk to anyone who’s see it (I have not) and they’ll burble on endlessly about how great the three-dee was, but is the movie itself sacrificed to the visuals, which are unanimously reported as gorgeous and awe-inspiring. That’s fine, but like they say here, fur coat and no knickers, or to put it another way, a pig with lipstick on is still, you know.

So what’s so 3D about this, the third (oh yeah) instalment in the stoner duo’s adventures? You know, I have no clue. I suppose certain scenes may have been enhanced, but I can’t really see the need for this to have been in 3D. But what do I know? More than you mate. Nah really; stoner comedies don’t do it for me and I have never seen a single Harold and Kumar movie, nor do I wish to. This one apparently has a priceless Christmas tree belonging to Harold’s father-in-law burned down when a giant joint is tossed out the window (oh the hilarity!), Santa getting shot in the head and the Russian mob thrown into the mix, because why not?

Again, I guess you’re either a fan of these guys or you’re not, and the idea of one of their ex-pals coming back from heaven because Jesus kicked him out, and now able to read minds, well, see the opening line again I suppose. You have to give props, one would expect, to a man who has a good job working for Obama in the White House and leaves that job to make this movie. Luckily when the movie was over and Kai Penn asked the President if the White House could take him back he was told (say it with me) “Yes we can!”

Rotten Tomatoes ratings:

Tomatometer: 63%
Audience Score: 58%

IMDB Rating

6.2/10

Metacritic Rating:

Again, the critics, who are probably H&K fans or at least familiar with the other movies, are largely appreciative of the movie, so they get no airtime here, while the worst the audience could come up with was this rather weak lambasting:

The first H & K was the best. With each sequel they make, it just goes downhill.

May Harold and Kumar be with you, and may you be high and drunk this festive season. Amen.