Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato presents: Trollheart's Box Office
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #54 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Rudolph and Frosty: Christmas in July (1980)

Uh, what? I don’t… um… should this be subtitled “This time it’s summery!”? Yeah. Words fail me. God bless the Japanese, who never allow logic to stand in the way or making a few million Yen.

Rotten Tomatoes ratings

Tomatometer: 20%
Audience Score: 36%

IMDB rating

6.7/10 (huh?)

Metacritic rating:

n/a

I’ll leave it to the critics.

Like Emily VanderWerff of Vox, who comments, quite reasonably, the attempts to turn these corny stories into some sort of epic strain with flopsweat, and the hoped-for Avengers-style team-up of the company's big two mostly results in scenes where you wonder why Frosty's not melting in the middle of July

Indeed. And Matthew Jackson of SyFyWire is of a similar opinion:
The idea of crossing over Rudolph and Frosty is logical, because they were the company's two most popular character (aside from maybe Santa Claus), but the way it actually happens is just nuts

While Nancy Davis Kho of Common Sense Media was more direct: Dark, creepy story lacks Yuletide spirit.

Those who weren’t paid (so far as I know anyway) to watch it more or less agreed with these assessments:

Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July has its moments, but overall it's a disappointing effort that's kind of lacking the spirit of the season (either one of them).

wha? I didn't quite understand or appreciate this movie. It's long and makes little sense. The idea of having Christmas in July at a big circus parade is very unusual. The songs just aren't very memorable.

And there we’ll leave it I think.