Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato presents: Trollheart's Box Office
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #55 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Jingle All the Way 2 (2014)

Most people will agree that Jingle All the Way is a terrible movie, and an awful Christmas movie. I don’t. In fact, I very much to my surprise enjoyed it. I’m not saying it’s the best Christmas movie I’ve ever seen - very far from it - but I was pleasantly impressed at Arnie’s comedic turn as a father desperate to track down the only remaining Turboman doll for his kid. But even I, with my minority view of the original, can’t stand over a sequel that, from what I can see, doesn’t even have the decency to try to write a new story, but simply transplants Larry the Cable Guy into Arnie’s shoes, changes the name of the toy and runs the same basic film. Not even a subtitle? The original title doesn’t lend itself well to a sequel, but at least they could have tried, I don’t know, Jingle All the Way Again, Jingle A Somewhat Further Portion of the Way If Not All, or hell, I don’t know, Re-Jingle All the Way? But no: stick a 2 in front and we’re good.

Well no, we’re not. I’m not familiar with LTCG but I couldn’t personally see anyone other than the Governator playing this role, and no matter how good (or bad) Larry is in this, he’s always going to be compared (by those who care) to Arnie’s original, and I believe will always come up short. I mean, let’s be honest: was this a movie anyone needed?

Rotten Tomatoes ratings

Tomatometer: n/a
Audience Score: 30%

IMDB rating

3.8/10

Metacritic rating

n/a

Critics said: well, nothing, and probably just as well. Audiences were scathing.

This is still a bad movie, no question about it. But this one will disappear from the public eye, if it even came close to being on it, by the end of this year. There are far more superior holiday movies than this, so you can clearly do better.

The acting is all pretty terrible, and Larry's comedy stylings are extremely lame. Also, there's really no sense of fun to any of the crazy antics or charades that the two fathers go through. Incredibly bland, Jingle All the Way 2 has nothing really going for it.

And perhaps most damningly and honestly of all

It should've been better. I mean... yes. A lot better.

No. It should have been drowned at birth.