Music Banter - View Single Post - 2020 US Election Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #1669 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Please don't have faith in the American system. This culture war **** is something the courts trend liberal with but look at what they do with anything involving worker or corporate rights. The liberal status quo are conservative as **** when it comes to siding with the elites on economic issues and are an enemy of the people and have been for years.
I think the difference between the conservative and liberal forces on the Supreme court, as far as I can tell, boils down to, do you think the Supreme court should shape public policy or not. The conservatives think it should be left to the states/Congress, the liberals tend to think the SC should intervene more.

But when it comes to interpreting the letter of the law, as we saw now in the Texas lawsuit case, they are all competent enough to read the constitution, which the Republican legal think tank obviously isn't.

So that's what I have faith in.

What I don't have faith in is the U.S. as a socially progressive country, because it has never been one and doesn't look like it will become one any time soon. It's founded on selfish principles, and has therefore become the perfect breeding ground for unchecked capitalism (for example, I still can't believe that such a basic protection of workers rights as the limitation of weekly working hours is apparently non-existent).

I've long ago stopped thinking of the U.S. as anything to aspire to. I'll stick to Europe thanks.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote