Music Banter - View Single Post - Pitchfork BitchDork
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #454 (permalink)
Lucem Ferre
Cuter Than Post Malone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
like I’ve said many times pitchfork is a great resource

The only time I think they get out of their depth is with jazz.

I think when it comes to classic jazz records they shouldn’t assign a numerical score to them

Like I’ll know the significance of a record and they’ll be like 8.6 or 9.3 like it’s a new release

It’s reductive and not helpful to put a record that still holds up 40 - 60 years later on that continuum when time and history have already spoken for it.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...onk-palo-alto/

This is a new issue but it’s Monk from 68.

Gets a 9.1 ok

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchfo...d-fantasy/amp/

Kanye gets a 10

So I mean they’re going to attach a numerical value to this

Kanye never made anything better than Monk in 68. If I had those guys in a room and I called them out on this they’d know damn well their position was indefensible.

If they really think there’s a .9 shortcoming in Monk’s performance that night they should do themselves a favor and leave the rating off and just write about the recording. You don’t judge Monk like you do Beach House or whatever. Monk’s place in the pantheon of greats is already determined. They need to stick to helping us sort out new music and make discriminating choices to focus our listening time. But don’t try to tell me you’re giving Monk an A minus. Bitch, you don’t get to grade Monk.
MBDTF is considered by many many people to be a 10 though.
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote