Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #868 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDead_ View Post
The way I find new bands is to listen to bands that are similar to the ones I already like and listen to.

It also pushes bands to be more creative and stand out within their genre.
That's a bit contradictory. There's the opportunity to publish "truly" creative music, but artists are more likely to be discovered if they have reference points for listeners to discover them by. The modern music industry might drive creativity but I think it favours creative reworkings of familiar ideas (100 Gecs and Dorian Electra come to mind) as opposed to the avant-garde fringes of creativity. Many artists are working to get on a major playlist since it's one of the only ways to realistically get paid with streaming and these playlists often promote genre uniformity as opposed to the standouts. This isn't totally new but it does seem to be steepening.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote