Music Banter - View Single Post - 2020 US Election Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 09:04 PM   #1731 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Considering that the incompetence of neoliberalism and its abandonment of the working class is what led to Trump then some neoliberal being neutral in comparison isn't reason for celebration cause Biden is just resetting the clock to the next right wing populist grifter who might end up being a much more competent psychopath.

This is all bad even if it feels like a reprieve. American democracy is just as crumbling and threatened as it was before Biden won the election. If Trump was Robespierre then Biden is the Thermidor reaction.
That's a lot of pessimism, Batlord, and a lot of certainty. I'm not sure that politics is as predetermined as you suggest.

For instance, things like incompetence/abandonment of the working class can change. Perhaps they have been true in the past; but perhaps the Dems will also notice that and take measures to correct both failings. Perhaps the working class will realise that they are not best served by the Kushners/Trumps, McConnells, etc, and shift their allegiance back to the Dems.
As for American democracy, it's just taken an unpredecented pummelling, during Trump's time in office and post-election too. After something has been demonstrated to be vulnerable, that's typically the time when people decide to repair and strengthen it; perhaps American democracy will be patched up better than before.

Not saying all those things are going to happen, just saying that I don't share your conviction that they won't.