Music Banter - View Single Post - What media outlets do you trust?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
ando here
Music Addict

Well, I don't trust most of them. However, BBC World, Al Jazeera, Bloomberg and The Associated Press will generally give me up to date info without undue editorializing. John Hopkins website for Covid-19 numbers. NewYork1 (Spectrum cable channel) for local developments.

And I still listen to the radio. Brian Lehrer talk show, M-F mornings on WNYC (FM) for local stuff and an admittedly progressive slant of national news. Various other radio talk shows (including sports nonsense) up and down the dial. AM radio remains rife with reactionary/"conservative" talk (not discussion, I don't care what they claim) so, other than the Mets or a random gospel show I steer clear. I can remember when listening to AM radio was cool. But I digress.

The New York Times is little more than fodder (even the weekly "Book Review"). The Wall Street Journal almost always seems to beat them to developing events. For national papers I guess The Washington Post is the go to sheet (imo).

Oh, and Smart News, which is almost exclusively local pulp (which has a utility if you want a clue about your homicidal neighbor) I keep on my backup cell. Dip into that every now and then.

Ever see the movie, Roshomon? It's like that with every story, unfortunately. Discernment's in the reading, not the dissemination. Know what I mean?
ando here is offline   Reply With Quote