Music Banter - View Single Post - 2020 US Election Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 08:16 AM   #1818 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
High level of turnout makes a Dem win more likely; is that what you' re saying in the bold bit? It seems like you're belittling Biden's win by saying, "That's just because he's the head of the party that's more popular."
Yep, I'm belittling him. And I stand by it.

Quote:
I think there is great benefit in having a well-informed public; an ideal shared by everyone who ever picked up a newspaper or watched a news broadcast. As you point out, hacking prob goes on all the time; this story has hit the headlines because of how serious it is. Lucky you weren't a reporter when the Titanic sank, Anteater: "The public don't need to know about this; boats sink all the time."
If you actually read the story though, it doesn't appear to be as serious as they made it out to be. In fact, it looks like a giant ???. "We have major security issues in all our departments and it "appears" they got into our systems and then did nothing for 8 months". Comparing that to the Titanic sinking is laughable.

Quote:
Prior to Trump, presidents were labelled as "Healer in Chief", I think, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who respond to a kind word from a President even though, as you say, "it doesn't solve anything one way or the other". There are plenty of other motives for speaking beyond "solving things".

At one level, the idea in bold is true, on the other hand, it's not; people do listen to the government - especially when there is clear, consistent messaging. One reason why or one example of Americans are doing what the Hell they want is on the issue of masks: a bewildering lack of direction, so people do what they want. An example of consistant messaging: smoking damages your health. Not everyone, but plenty of people have followed the government's advice on that.
1. Leaders can say all the nice things they want. Trump is despicable to most people but guess what? He's the only guy in the room advocating for 2k a month to every American and both Repubs and Democrats don't seem to give a ****. When did Obama ever advocate for money going out to the average American back in 2009 after the housing crash? Never. He said nice things on T.V. but was ultimately trash.

2. If all that's true, then why do so many Americans have a fundamental distrust in government that spans multiple generations now? This isn't limited to minorities or any specific group either - the JFK assassination, 9/11 conspiracy theories, "the moon landing was faked" etc. are all things that just don't seem to die.

Quote:
I found this comment a little troubling. It seems to be an exercise in Conspiracy Theory 101: the statistics don't support my belief, therefore the truth has been hidden.
Here's another example: Stats on genecide of Jews during WWII:
Germany under Hitler: approx 6 million killed
England under Churchill: approx 0 killed
Following your logic, we should therefore conclude that Churchill was better at hiding his policy of Jewish genecide than Hitler.
In one sentence, you take us from facts to fallacy; what's alarming is just how easy and how popular this kind of argument has become.
OH's response to you on this was already perfect, so I don't have anything else to add to it.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-19-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote