Music Banter - View Single Post - Qwertyy's Top 20 Albums of the Year
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 03:38 AM   #78 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol’ Qwerty Bastard View Post
****ing 2 star rating, i will find you and i will kill you.

#1!

Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition

In 2016 Danny Brown showed the world that he could it all. After releasing two brilliant hip-hop projects in XXX and Old, Danny managed to up the ante even further with his latest release. Atrocity Exhibition sees the Detroit born emcee venturing even deeper into experimental hip-hop as he spits incredibly vivid verses about drug abuse and life in the Motor City over some of the strangest hip-hop beats you will find.

From combining a club anthem hook with a minimalist beat to taking on post-punk flavored instrumentals, there's no shortage of risk taking throughout this project. Really Doe, the album's star-studded 5 minute cut features the likes of Kendrick Lamar, Earl Sweatshirt, and Ab-Soul, but it's Danny who stays in control and ahead of the pack throughout it's duration. Aside from that, there are only 3 other features on the entire album, all of which remain rather concise. For a rapper of Danny's stature to take on a whole project such as this almost entirely himself, and then keep it entertaining and diverse throughout its run time is quite a feat.

For me, it can easily be said that this is the album that sums up the state of hip-hop in 2016. The genre is currently more diverse than it has ever been before, and gone are the days of experimental and abstract hip-hop being entirely separate from what is popular. Of course the internet has re-invented what exactly it means to be a popular music act, but at this point in his career Danny Brown is one of the most recognizable faces in rap music, and yet he's still one of the most adventurous creators the genre has.

Spoiler for must hear track(s):

Great review. I’m still cultivating a full appreciation for this obvious masterpiece.

Just listened to it and it’s definitely mind blowing.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote