Music Banter - View Single Post - Songs Memories
Thread: Songs Memories
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
goldendoodle
god's favorite clown

God I too would love to be far from my #BROBLEMS.

My strongest (not necessarily good) "Songs Memories" off the top of my head:

The Real McCoys - Runaway
I obviously loved this song when I was a child, and when it would come on the radio in the car I'd get SO revved up inside and think "god they are SO right, I need to run away and throw myself out of this car right now"

Chris Isaak - Somebody's Crying
My mom was a huge Chris Isaak stan (starting not too long after she and my dad divorced) and I vividly remember listening to her stomping around and vacuuming maniacally (in her room upstairs, door shut) at like midnight on a weekday with this song blasting. And that whole album really. As a result I, too was a Chris Isaak stan as an 11 year old.

Natalie Merchant - Ophelia
I liked listening to this (and other female adult contemporary type artists I'd find in my mom's CD collection) when I was 12 or so and thinking "Yes I can so relate to this" (I could not) while imagining I was some glamorous 30-something divorcee in a hotel room brooding about life (sometimes I would drink juice out of a wine glass during this and feel very mature and adult and serious)

Bruce Springsteen - Secret Garden
This one is actually a mystery. I have NO clue what memory this song is tied to but I know it's tied to something because I get the most eerie (and very very strong) feeling when I hear it. My face will feel hot, I'll start breathing rapidly and my stomach and chest tighten. No clue if it's linked to a good or bad memory. It's a very early memory though. Kind of like when you smell something and feel as though you were PUNCHED in the face and know it's connected to some memory, one that you can almost feel viscerally but just can't quite reach consciously. Hibiscus-scented things is like that for me. It is so mysterious. I know it has something to do with my grandparents' old house in houston but I just can't remember anything beyond that. (Whereas jasmine and honeysuckle just evoke vague fuzzy good memories of wandering around the neighborhood alone on summer evenings in Texas)

This Mortal Coil - Filigree and Shadow (the whole album)
Very vividly remember blasting this album on repeat one night in my room (with lots of candles lit) while trying to drown out the noise of my then-best friend and her new friend/date having sex in the next room. (I was probably 19-20 years old or so) I was laying in my antique wrought iron twin size bed being very dramatic about it. (listened to LOTS of This Mortal Coil, Depeche Mode and Dead Can Dance during this time period)

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer
Reminds me of my (now deceased, as of 2018) old friend in Omaha's father. I was staying over there for a week or so, and both my friend and his dad would often go sit in the garage to talk and chain smoke, and I'd come with them just to chat. One night in particular his dad kept having anxiety attacks (due to a recent change in meds for his bipolar disorder, which my friend also had, along with many of his relatives), so we were trying to stay with him and check on him, and I just remember sitting near him in the dark (while he laid on the couch, anxious and tossing and turning) playing The Boxer softly on a laptop in attempt to soothe him since I knew it was his favorite song. He died not long after I left.