Music Banter - View Single Post - Pixies
Thread: Pixies
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #135 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiu
I would say most people with a small insite into alternative rock music would know The Pixies were one of the biggest bands of the late 80s. Look anywhere and you will see Surfer Rosa and Doolittle on top albums lists. And in terms of influence most people realise that The Pixies had a huge influence on Nirvana.

If anything they are overrated. Artists like The Wipers, The Urinals and even slightly more popular bands like Meat Puppets and The Melvins were influencial to Nirvana and grunge in general but are fairly unknown. Alot more than The Pixies anyway.
thats what im saying. only people with an insight into the "alternative" scene understand their importance - when you see travesties such as U2 going and attaining god-like status. im sorry but i just do not see how they are overrated. you cannot say such a thing just because theres some band similiar that hasnt made it. im familiar with both the wipers and the melvins - the pixies blow both out of the water lyrically and musically. in fact the only band i think is on par with the pixies grunge-wise is the screaming trees. possibly mudhoney.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote