Music Banter - View Single Post - Is 2pac the best rapper ever?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 10:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
They lived though.

That and Gimme the Loot

Also RTD really ends with Suicidal Thoughts not Just Playing (Dreams) which makes a huge difference on how the album comes across plus even on the dirty version the verse quoted above is censored except on early pressings.

I get what you’re saying about their personalities though. I think in part that full suicidal **** is more suburban than street and pac may have had more Kurt in him than Big because of it but Big is scarier and comes off way more aggressive imo.

I also think it’s insane to say Big’s sound didn’t mature. **** the Beastie Boys would’ve been better if they’d all been shot after Licensed to Ill. Maturity sucks in hip hop. KRS-ONE is the worst example of that but the Beasties going all Dalai Lama was close.

I don’t blame people for changing because that’s life unless you’re emotionally stunted like I am but it ruins their legacy. I really can’t think of any musician who died too early except John Lennon and was 40.

I totally respect where you’re coming from though
I think Big had a few more classics in him. He might've had a slump or fell off completely but that's the risk you run. If nas died after It was written his legacy might've been great but we still wouldn't have gotten God's Son, the Nas/Jay beef etc. If Pac died after his second album he wouldn't even be talked about as such a legend. His last 3 albums were his peak imo. I get what you're saying about KRS etc but Big is on the other end of that extreme imo. Died right in his prime and before we got the chance to see what he was really made of long term. I don't think he's a bad choice for GOAT though.

Also, I definitely see what you're saying about Pac maybe having more of that stereotypical white boy angst. He started out as a theater kid. I think the main difference between Pac and Big was Pac made no distinction between his art and real life. He started preaching that gang **** as he literally came under the fold of death row and Suge, and ultimately he played with fire one too many times. I think Big had a more clear conception of the risks involved and that's why he wasn't trying to fan the flames as much as Pac was, especially after Pac died. Should've stayed the **** outta Cali though.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote