Music Banter - View Single Post - REGGAE WEEK: Your favourite Reggae artist and why?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 03:02 AM   #87 (permalink)
mlolm
Groupie

Hi, I'm new. Reggae is a huge passion of mine, especially Dub Reggae sub-genre. I used to be really into dancehall when I was younger. I still like it but i'm not as obsessed as I was in highschool.

Many people who like or listen to Reggae, I have found, listen to 2-3 of the major artists like Bob Marley or Peter Tosh and say: "Yeah I love reggae". But it's sooooooo much more than that. Nothing against Bob Marley, but he is like the poster child for the genre, and many don't go deeper.

Some of my top artists:
The Congos, Eek-A-Mouse, Clinton Fearon, Ken Boothe, Capelton, Barrington Levy, John Holt, Max Romeo, easy Star All-Stars, Gregory Isaacs, 10ft Ganja Plant, UB40, Buju Banton, Tippa Irie, Mykal Rose, Desmon Dekker

And for me, the king of Dub:

Lee "Scratch" Perry, the Superape. If you don't know him, read up. The guy is a legend. Is about 100 years old (no one knows) and still touring, still releasing more new music than 99% of artists half his age (new track last week).
mlolm is offline   Reply With Quote