Music Banter - View Single Post - Welcome to Trollheart's Fortress of Prog!
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 05:21 AM   #67 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Come with me now, on a musical travelogue as we explore the hidden delights (and shocking disappointments perhaps) that make up

Originally a title for an alternative prog thread, I now want to use this to emulate something I did in one of the Metal Months a few years back, and explore prog artists from all over the world. Essentially, I’m going to stick a pin in a map of the world, so to speak, and then look into a band from that part of the globe. We’ll see how it goes. So where do we head first I ask - virtually only, of course, as I’m sure in this era of Covid-19 everyone else is also being as careful about travelling and potentially spreading or leaving themselves open to infection. Stay at home, as they say, stay safe.

I will be adding other sections and aspects to this, but right now I want to go

So from the comfort of my ancient and moth-eaten armchair, which is losing more stuffing than the long-finished Christmas dinner, I spy

Yep, in case your geography is as bad as mine, that's Serbia

Part of the former Yugoslav Republic over there on the beautiful Adriatic.

And what prog bands, if any, come from there? Not a huge amount, as expected, and of them, mostly in the progressive metal and jazz fusion type sub-genres, but we’ll see what we can find. May as well kick off with the first one whose name stands out to me, and that’s these guys.

Artist: Acid Rain
Sub-genre(s): Progressive Metal
Formed: 2001
City: Belgrade
Members: Nikola Krstovic (Guitar), Zarko Krstovic (Bass), Marko Jankovic (Drums), Matija Andjelkovic (Keyboards), Marko Èapljic (Vocals)
Discography: Alpha (2005), Game of Life (2006), Worlds Apart (2008)

Seems to be a little bit of confusion on the lineup, with Marko Jankovic shown as being the original drummer, though a different guy played the skins on their debut EP, but as I don’t exactly have The Big Book of Serbian Prog to hand, and as Wiki looks at me as if I’m mad when I try for Acid Rain (band), I have to go with the minimal information Prog Archives gives me, and it doesn’t solve this minor mystery. Also, I guess, who cares?

Spotify gives me four bands called Acid Rain, none of which are these guys, and as you can imagine, YouTube isn’t exactly bursting with their output, so the only one I can find is this:

Album title: Worlds Apart
Artist: Acid Rain
Nationality: Serbian
Year: 2008
Chronology: 3
The Trollheart Factor: 0

Track Listing: Worlds Apart/Solitude/Guide the Blind

Comments: Not all that clear on their recordings either. The debut is a four-track EP, all of which are then included on what I guess is their first real album, Game of Life and then there’s this, which is a three-song EP, possibly the precursor to a second (?) album which so far has not seen the light of day, and given that this is twelve years ago now, I doubt it ever will. Well, let’s listen anyway.

A mere fifteen minutes long in total, the EP kicks off with the title track, with some very busy keyboard and nice powerful guitar, rapid drumming and a very accomplished vocal from Srdan Zuvić who is not the original vocalist, but then few of the members here seem to have been on the first EP. One of the Krstovic brothers is gone, he of the bass, and the only other original member than his sibling is the keyboard player. It’s a powerful and well-constructed song, and there’s hardly a trace of his native accent as Zuvić gives it socks. Yeah, very impressive I must say. Next up is “Solitude”, with a more aggressive guitar fronting the melody this time, plenty of keyboard flurries, reminiscent at times of Geoff Downes’s work on latter Yes albums, think this may very well be an instrumental.

Interesting thing about the album cover I just noticed - okay, EP cover! - is that it only has the band name on it, no title. The previous album and EP both sport the title (well, the debut is just called Acid Rain) but no title on this one. Hey, I like the sort of ethnic sounds Andjelkovic puts into the arpeggios! Nice. Yeah it was an instrumental, and a good one at that. Which means we’re already at the end, with “Guide the Blind” showing either that Zuvić is a very versatile singer, or that someone else is taking vocals here. A much harsher, more ragged sound which suits the song as it blasts along. Mixture of guitar lines mirroring both Threshold and Iron Maiden. Colour me impressed.

Track(s) I liked: Everything

Track(s) I didn't like: Nothing

One standout: n/a

One rotten apple: n/a

Overall impression: Hard to get a proper impression when you’ve only got three tracks to listen to, but I certainly enjoyed them all. Three for three, not bad.

Rating: 9.4/10

Future Plan: May listen to more. If I can find any.

Last edited by Trollheart; 01-17-2023 at 08:53 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote