Music Banter - View Single Post - Lennon-McCartney vs Waters-Gilmour vs Page-Plant
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 06:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Eleanor Rigby 14
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Those are great examples. But ultimately Waters was a dictator and Zeppelin was a band. And George Harrison wrote independently compared to JPJ. Even No Quarter JPJ’s greatest achievement (and LZ’s as well imo) was co-written with Page and Plant

However you list enough songs to where all of your examples are song writing tandems so fair enough. It just doesn’t strike me the same as L-M or Jagger Richards

Otoh if you really break it down you have to admit the L-M “team” was a farce. They wrote independently.

It’s a good poll.
Yeah, I agree that Lennon-McCartney were the best ones, but it's interesting to see if the others get some votes, too. I get your point, my favourite Zep tune was also cowritten with JPJ (Since I've Been Loving You), what I wanted to say when I compared him with Harrison and Wright was that he was the "quiet" member always adding instruments or ideas instead of really writing a song (usually Page and Plant did that). I agree, Harrison wrote on his own during the last years of the band, but in the beginning he would just come up with ideas to make better the Lennon-McCartney songs.
Waters became the dictator of Pink Floyd when they're working on The Wall, he wrote 23 songs out of 26, if i remember well, on his own. But The Wall is being mostly remembered for Another Brick In The Wall Pt.2 (written entirely by Waters), Comfortably Numb (the music is from David Gilmour) and maybe Young Lust (music also from David Gilmour) So I'd say both had the same importance in Pink Floyd's songrwriting.
And I'm very glad to be able to coment here, it's very interesting to debate about music while I try to improve my English xd (that's why my coments are sooo long)
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote