Music Banter - View Single Post - Who's your favourite Yardbird?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eleanor Rigby 14
Music Addict

I'm not asking who did better in The Yardbirds, although you can coment about it, too. Vote which of the following guitarists do you enjoy listening to the most:
Eric Clapton
He's probably the most complete musician. He had his own interesting bluesy style mixed with rock and sometimes even with pop, he has gained the respect of everyone and has had a huge influence on other artists. He's played in many bands, most of them have been successful and also had a solo career marked by hits. He wrote his own songs, played them and sung them too, unlike Page and Beck. He had a great capacity to improvise and a lot of feeling. Objectively, he's the best.
Jeff Beck
He probably had the most personal style. He could mix completely different styles and make them sound great. Great feeling and improvisation...but not a good composer. In fact I can't think of many good Jeff Beck tunes written by himself...His best song was written by Stevie Wonder, who couldn't even play the guitar. I think he's the most original one, though.
Jimmy Page
He was lucky, very lucky to belong to Led Zeppelin. He was the perfect guitarist for a perfect band. He had it everything: versatility, originality, his own style, improvisation, songwriting abilities...Oh, but he's got into some trouble because of that, right? Well, in my opinion, in some of the plagiarism cases, like Stairway To Heaven, I don't think they were intentionally done, or, if they were, I think he just got inspired in most of the cases. So here we have the ideal guitar player, but, what happens when you think about him outside Led Zeppelin? Sure he's worked with many musicians after that, but he didn't even come close to the things he achieved with Led Zeppelin. Unlike Clapton and Beck, he's known for the things he recorded with his band.

So, who am I going to vote for?
To hell with all the comparisons and analysis! Jimmy Page rules!

Page has 2 votes and Beck has 1, while "God" doesn't have a single vote yet! If you vote, please coment your reasons, it's interesting for me to get to know others' opinions!
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote