Music Banter - View Single Post - Who's your favourite Yardbird?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 03:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby 14 View Post
I'm not asking who did better in The Yardbirds, although you can coment about it, too. Vote which of the following guitarists do you enjoy listening to the most:

Jeff Beck
He probably had the most personal style. He could mix completely different styles and make them sound great. Great feeling and improvisation...but not a good composer. In fact I can't think of many good Jeff Beck tunes written by himself...His best song was written by Stevie Wonder, who couldn't even play the guitar. I think he's the most original one, though.
False! The best Beck tune was a song written by Curtis Mayfield, not Stevie Wonder. The guitar playing on the cover-song which was originally written by Curtis Mayfield showcases Beck at his finest. The song written by Don Nix is a close second. Freddie King and Stone the Crows also do decent version of the song written by Don Nix. The Beck tune written by Jan Hammer comes in at third place. So that places the song written Stevie Wonder a few spots out of first place. Plus I heard that Stevie Wonder could play any instrument in the studio. I didn't know he could not play the guitar. I always assumed he did play guitar - though I am not quite sure now. Anyways Jeff Beck helped in creating the song written by Stevie Wonder. Jeff Beck is also a multi-instrumentalist. Stevie Wonder invited Jeff Beck for a collaboration where Beck came up with the drum intro to the song that was written by Stevie Wonder.

The poll left out Keith Relf and Jim McCarty who went on to form the band Renaissance.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 01-14-2021 at 03:31 AM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote