Music Banter - View Single Post - Who's your favourite Yardbird?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 03:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Eleanor Rigby 14
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
False! The best Beck tune was a song written by Curtis Mayfield, not Stevie Wonder. The guitar playing on the cover-song which was originally written by Curtis Mayfield showcases Beck at his finest. The song written by Don Nix is a close second. Freddie King and Stone the Crows also do decent version of the song written by Don Nix. The Beck tune written by Jan Hammer comes in at third place. So that places the song written Stevie Wonder a few spots out of first place. Plus I heard that Stevie Wonder could play any instrument in the studio. I didn't know he could not play the guitar. I always assumed he did play guitar - though I am not quite sure now. Anyways Jeff Beck helped in creating the song written by Stevie Wonder. Jeff Beck is also a multi-instrumentalist. Stevie Wonder invited Jeff Beck for a collaboration where Beck came up with the drum intro to the song that was written by Stevie Wonder.

The poll left out Keith Relf and Jim McCarty who went on to form the band Renaissance.
Depends on which one you consider to be his best song. In my opinion it's Cause We've Ended As Lovers, written by Stevie Wonder. The poll was about which of the three guitarists that had been part of The Yardbirds is your favourite one. What I wanted to say is that Jeff Beck, as a songwriter, was not as good as Clapton and Page, in my opinion. I'm not sure if you agree on this, but you mention that many of his famous tunes were written by others. And about Stevie Wonder, I wasn't so sure if we could play guitar or not so I searched it:
Quote:
Wonder is skilled on the keyboard, bass, drums and harmonica.
Anyway, thanks for your opinion! By the way, between Clapton, Page and Beck, who's your favourite one?
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote