Music Banter - View Single Post - Choose one of the following songs as the no.1 hippie anthem!
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 05:26 AM   #22 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

That's a very good summary and list of recommendations, Neapolitan. Just this bit I'd like to comment on if I may:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I'm guessing "Rockers" is more a British thing. In America Rockers would be called Greasers, but then that term probably came later -- (I'm guessing) the term was popularize by the movie Grease.
"Greasers" was used in England too, in fact I was in high school with a guy whose nickname was "Greaser". It predates the movie Grease
and in England meant " a guy with long unwashed hair, leather jacket and such a love of low-budget motorbikes that his hands, like his hair were likely to be greasy." AFAIK Rockers were the same group, but before long hair was fashionable: they adopted the long hippie hair and became Greasers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby 14 View Post
Yeah, thanks for the explanation!
P.S. A Hard Day's Night is the best movie of all time. Ringo said the Beatles were "mockers" or something like that, and I didn't get it at first.
Yes, that was a clever remark from Ringo, making fun of the rivalry between Mods and Rockers, which at one time was both serious and bitter in England:-

(An old codger like Trollheart might notice the Ford Anglias in this video clip: very first car my big sister bought, and therefore the first car in my family, as my parents never had one.)