Music Banter - View Single Post - Exo's Top Ten of Each Year (1955-2020)
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Clifford Brown and Max Roach
Study in Brown

Again? Yup. One year later from my #6 and two spots better.

Why?

They go harder. I don't know what else to say. Tracks like "Cherokee", "Sandu", and "Take the A Train" just kick so much ass on this record. Harold Land shines better on this one too. A forgotten sound I feel and somebody who I always thought was super rad. Album also starts and ends with fire.

Helen Merrill
Helen Merrill

That opening track. That f*cking opening track. Merrill singing Billie Holiday lyrics so sultry while, you guessed it, Clifford f*cking Brown blows in the background. It's one of my absolute favorite jazz vocal performances andone of the big reasons this album is so high on this list. I ALWAYS go back to this record when I want to disappear into the haze of 50's coolness.

The backing band, run by Quincy Jones, plays just enough to not overpower Merrills voice but that lifts it over, say, a Julie London record.

This record also kind of reminds me of nostalgic nights in NYC with my aunt. She used to take me around the sights and we'd eventually end up in a restaurant or small club playing some jazz. Stuff like this brings me back.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote